Mark Jones and analyst Robert Griffin III will be a part of sideline reporter Quint Kessenich on the decision because the ESPN will carry the sport nationally. The sport will also be discovered utilizing the ESPN app on any streaming platform.
Texas Tech Sports activities Community may also broadcast the sport over 46 associates all through the state of Texas and New Mexico as Brian Jensen could have the decision alongside analyst John Harris, sideline reporter Chris Stage and engineer Steve Pitts. The radio broadcast will also be heard on on XM channel 201, Sirius channel 133 or by way of the TuneIn app.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Texas Tech and Houston will meet for the thirty third time in program historical past Saturday because the Cougars lead the all-time collection with a 18-13-1 benefit. The Pink Raiders enter this weekend having received eight of the final 9 video games versus the Cougars.
- This would be the fifth assembly between the Pink Raiders and Cougars because the Southwest Convention disbanded following the 1995 season. Texas Tech is 3-1 in these video games with wins in 2010 at dwelling (35-20), in 2017 at Houston (27-24) and in 2018 at dwelling (63-49).
- Whereas this weekend’s sport is being play within the metropolis of Houston, it is going to be thought-about a neutral-site contest as a consequence of it being performed at NRG Stadium, the house of the Houston Texans, as an alternative of on-campus at TDECU Stadium. The 2 faculties beforehand confronted one another at a impartial website twice, which happened in the course of the 1993-94 seasons on the Alamodome in San Antonio the place the Pink Raiders mixed to win each video games by a rating of 92-7.
TEXAS TECH-HOUSTON CONNECTIONS
- There can be a number of noticeable ties between the 2 faculties this weekend, none better in all probability than Houston head coach Dana Holgorsen, who was the within receivers coach for the Pink Raiders from 2000-04 after which co-offensive coordinator from 2005-07. Holgorsen departed the Texas Tech teaching employees previous to the 2008 season to take the offensive coordinator place at Houston. This would be the first time the Pink Raiders have confronted Holgorsen whereas with the Cougars as Texas Tech was beforehand 2-5 towards him throughout his eight seasons main Massive 12 foe West Virginia.
- Holgorsen’s tenure at Texas Tech coincided with the taking part in careers of a number of employees members who’ve returned to their alma mater, together with offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie (2004 quarterback), exterior receivers coach Joel Filani (2003-06) and Affiliate A.D. for Soccer Administration Antonio Huffman (2003-06).
- Holgorsen additionally has one other Pink Raider nice on his employees in working sport coordinator and offensive line coach Brandon Jones, who starred at Texas Tech from 2003-06 earlier than starting his teaching profession as an offensive assistant from 2007-08. He returned to Texas Tech because the offensive line coach from 2017-18 earlier than transferring to Houston. Previous to returning to Texas Tech, Jones was the run sport coordinator at Cal the place he labored alongside Pink Raider particular groups coordinator Mark Tommerdahl, who served in an identical function with the Golden Bears from 2013-16.
- Texas Tech defensive coordinator Keith Patterson labored underneath Holgorsen early in his tenure at West Virginia as Patterson was the Mountaineers’ co-defensive coordinator in 2012 after which sole defensive coordinator in 2013. He departed West Virginia following that 2013 season to start a four-year stretch at Arizona State.
- Patterson has additionally labored with three different members of the Houston employees as he and Archie McDaniel have been each on employees at Tulsa in 2010 when Patterson was in his closing season as co-defensive coordinator, whereas McDaniel was the Golden Hurricane’s tight ends and H-backs coach. He additionally labored with particular groups coordinator Mark Scott and passing sport coordinator Shannon Dawson at West Virginia. Dawson was reverse Patterson because the Mountaineers’ offensive coordinator every of Patterson’s two seasons, whereas Scott was a defensive graduate assistant.
STAT NOTABLES vs. HOUSTON
- DaMarcus Fields is the one Pink Raider who has a number of begins in his profession towards Houston as he earned the nod at cornerback in each the 2017-18 matchups between the 2 faculties. Fields had three tackles in every of these video games, forcing after which recovering a late fumble to go along with a cross breakup in 2017 earlier than including a pair of cross breakups and a deal with for a loss the next 12 months.
- Riko Jeffers has additionally confronted Houston twice in his profession as he recorded a pair of tackles in each matchups. He’s one in all eight energetic Pink Raiders who’ve confronted Houston at the very least as soon as of their profession, becoming a member of Fields, Adrian Frye, Seth Collins, SaRodorick Thompson, Dawson Deaton, Dalton Rigdon and Nelson Mbanasor.
RED RAIDERS IN SEASON OPENERS
- Texas Tech is 66-27-3 all-time over its 96 season openers after opening 17 of the previous 18 years with a victory. The lone loss throughout that stretch got here in 2018 when the Pink Raiders fell to Ole Miss, 47-27, of their solely different look all-time within the Texas Kickoff. Tech rebounded to route Montana State, 45-10, in 2019 after which topped Houston Baptist, 35-33, a 12 months in the past.
- Previous to the loss to Ole Miss, the Pink Raiders boasted the third-longest successful streak nationally for season openers, trailing solely Ohio State and Alabama amongst FBS applications on the time. Texas Tech’s 15 sport successful streak in season openers was beforehand its longest in program historical past.
- Matt Wells is 4-4 over his profession in season openers, which features a excellent 2-0 mark with the Pink Raiders. Wells led Utah State to wins over Southern Utah in 2015 and Weber State in 2016, whereas all 4 losses got here to power-five applications, together with two to preseason top-15 groups in No. 9 Wisconsin (2017) and No. 11 Michigan State (2018).
OPENING THE SEASON ON THE ROAD
Texas Tech is opening its season in a neutral-site contest for less than the second time since 1959 when the Pink Raiders confronted Texas A&M in Dallas. Tech additionally met the Aggies in Dallas to begin the 1958 season and previous to that traveled to Oklahoma Metropolis to battle then Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State) to open the 1940 marketing campaign. Texas Tech can be opening its season away from Jones AT&T Stadium for less than the sixth time since 2000. The Pink Raiders, who’re 13-16-1 all-time in season openers away from Lubbock, have received three of their final 4 season openers on the street, defeating SMU to begin the 2004, 2007 and 2013 seasons. The lone loss throughout that stretch got here to Ole Miss in 2018.
BACK IN HOUSTON
- The town of Houston is a hotbed to not solely recruits, a lot of that are on the Texas Tech roster, but additionally to one of many faculty’s largest alumni bases. This can be Texas Tech’s fourth sport in Houston because the 2015 season alone because the Pink Raiders beforehand confronted LSU within the 2015 AdvoCare Texas Bowl earlier than beginning its four-game collection with the College of Houston in a street sport in 2017 after which again at NRG Stadium to face Ole Miss within the Texas Kickoff in 2018. The Pink Raiders helped set the Texas Bowl attendance file towards LSU as 71,307 followers have been available in NRG Stadium.
- Texas Tech at present boasts 12 student-athletes from the better Houston space, together with Adrian Frye (Houston), Eric Monroe (Houston), Tyrique Matthews (Houston), Trey Wolff (Spring), Jake Justice (Houston), Robert Wooten (Stafford), Bryce Ramirez (Missouri Metropolis), Caleb Rodkey (Missouri Metropolis), Tony Bradford Jr. (Houston), Gilbert Ibeneme (Pearland), Mason Tharp (Klein), Larry Moore (Missouri Metropolis).
Recreation Week. Is. ????????! pic.twitter.com/hLPzvj3554
— Texas Tech Soccer (@TexasTechFB) August 30, 2021
#Recreation #Preview #Pink #Raiders #Open #Season #Houston #Texas #Tech #Pink #Raiders