By Matt Schabert, Morehead State Athletic Media Relations
MOREHEAD, Ky. –
– It might be deja vu for the Eagles, however the Morehead State soccer program is able to start its 2021 fall season in the identical location it started the 2021 spring season – at James Madison. The Eagles and No. 2 Dukes kick off at 6 p.m. ET from Harrisonburg, Va. Saturday.
The sport will air reside on FloFootball.com and will be heard on the Eagle Sports activities Radio Community with WIVY-96.3 FM serving as flagship station. Followers also can hear it on MSUEagles.com, WGOH-110.9 FM/1370 AM and WMST-106.9 FM/1150 AM.
Head coach Rob Tenyer enters his ninth season on the helm of the Eagle program. The Eagles completed the 2021 spring season with the primary excellent dwelling report since 1949 and the primary successful report (4-3) since 2015.
“We’ve the biggest senior class in MSU soccer historical past, and we’re going to depend on that management early on to get us going,” mentioned Tenyer. “James Madison is an excellent program and No. 2 within the nation for a cause, however I really feel like we’re higher ready this time. We solely had about eight practices earlier than taking part in them within the spring. I’m trying ahead to Saturday and competing once more.”
• Phil Steele Journal has tabbed senior lineman Vaughn Taylor, Jr., because the preseason Pioneer League Defensive Participant of the 12 months. 13 whole Eagles have been picked preseason All-PFL by PS, together with first-teamers large receiver/kick returner/all-purpose athlete BJ Byrd, offensive lineman Cam Marriott, linebacker Vincent Winey and punt returner Ian Holder. Second-team picks are quarterback Mark Pappas, large receiver Thomas Campbell-Clay, offensive lineman Jacob Ungruhe, defensive lineman Devon Connors and punter Andrew Foster. Gamers on PS’s Third-Crew All-PFL are offensive lineman Michael Davis, defensive lineman Nick Lavender and defensive again Tyler Noble.
• Morehead State obtained 9 votes within the preseason American Soccer Coaches Affiliation Ballot, one in every of solely two PFL groups to be talked about. The Eagles had the best whole of votes of both them or Davidson – the opposite league staff talked about.
• 5 Eagles have been chosen to the official preseason All-PFL staff, together with Taylor, Jr., Byrd, Marriott, Pappas and Winey.
• Graduate scholar Andrew Foster has as soon as once more been named to the FCS Punter of the 12 months watch checklist. The Knoxville, Tenn., native was on the preseason checklist previous to the 2020-21 season as nicely. He’s seeking to turn out to be the primary punter in program historical past to common greater than 40 yards per punt for 4 consecutive seasons.
• Morehead State’s protection was probably the greatest within the FCS within the spring. The truth is, Morehead State ranked FIRST within the nation with 14 interceptions (in simply seven video games). The Eagles additionally ranked fifth in FCS in turnovers gained (19) and seventh in turnover margin (+7). MSU additionally ranked fourth among the many circuit in defensive touchdowns (2) within the high 20 in passing yards allowed (172.0).
• Vaughn Taylor, Jr., enters his remaining collegiate marketing campaign with 37 profession tackles for loss, together with 13.5 sacks. Taylor, Jr., led the PFL in 2019 in TFLs (18.0) and sacks (3.5)
• Graduate scholar QB Mark Pappas was an All-PFL First-Crew choice within the spring season. He led PFL in passing effectivity, passing TDs, passing yards, factors chargeable for, and factors chargeable for per sport. Pappas enters his remaining season with 3,553 profession passing yards and 30 TDs. He has 4 profession speeding scores nicely.
• Senior linebacker Vincent Winey completed the spring season with 84 tackles in simply seven video games, averaging 12 per sport. That determine ranked second within the PFL in whole stops. Winey was named First-Crew All-PFL and have become the primary Eagle since Jordan Hendrix and Dillion Blackburn in 2012 to common greater than 10 tackles per sport.
• Senior large receiver BJ Byrd, a unanimous First-Crew All-PFL choose within the spring, led the PFL in kickoff return TDs, receiving TDs, scoring, and whole touchdowns. He additionally enters the autumn marketing campaign with a streak of six consecutive video games with at the least one receiving landing.
• This 12 months’s senior class, or gamers of their remaining 12 months, marks the biggest of head coach Rob Tenyer‘s tenure (2013-). MSU’s roster boasts 26 seniors or graduate college students.
#Soccer #Eagles #Geared #Season #Opener #James #Madison #Morehead #State #College #Athletics