England will clash against South Africa in the 1st test of 3-match test series at Lord’s.
ENG vs SA: Match Details
- Date – Wednesday, August 17, 2022
- Time – 03:30 PM IST
- Venue – Lord’s, London
ENG vs SA: Match Preview:
In the recently concluded three-match T20I series, South Africa defeated England by 2-1 after levelling the ODI series 1-1. Both these teams are now set to clash against each other after a break of two weeks. England test team has been in good form under the new leadership duo of Brendon McCullum & Ben Stokes, defeating New Zealand by 3-0 and then winning the 5th test against India. The attacking mindset has helped England beat India and New Zealand in tests.
South Africa are currently on top of the World Test Championship points table with five wins and two defeats so far. However, the English team would present a strong challenge against the Proteas. Even though South Africa won the test series against Bangladesh by 2-0, they were defeated by an innings and 56 runs against England Lions last week.
Jonny Bairstow has been the highest run-getter for England this year in tests with 994 runs in 8 matches, with 6 centuries to his name at an average of 76.46. Joe Root is close behind with 927 runs in 9 matches with 5 centuries. While in the bowling department, Jack Leach is the highest wicket-taker for England this year in tests with 29 wickets to his name in 8 matches, followed by Stuart Broad who has grabbed 26 wickets this year in 6 matches.
For South Africa, captain Dean Elgar has been the highest run-getter in tests this year with 439 runs to his name in 6 matches. Temba Bavuma has registered 428 runs in 6 matches this year. Marco Jansen and Kagiso Rabada have grabbed 23 wickets a piece for South Africa in 4 matches each.
Match Prediction: Who Will Win The Match? ENG vs SA
England will start off as favourites to win against South Africa in the 1st test given their past record against this team and the momentum on their back.
ENG vs SA Head-to-Head:
- Total – 153
- England – 64
- South Africa – 34
- Draw – 55
ENG vs SA Team News:
- South Africa – Pacer Duanne Olivier has been ruled out of the test series due to a grade 2-right hip flexor muscle tear.
ENG vs SA Probable Playing XI:
- England – Alex Lees, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Stokes (c), Ben Foakes (wk), Stuart Broad, Matthew Potts, Jack Leach, James Anderson.
- South Africa – Dean Elgar (c), Sarel Erwee, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Ryan Rickelton, Kyle Verreynne (wk), Marco Jansen, Simon Harmer, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje
Also Read: Scorecard
ENG vs SA Fantasy XI:
- Wicket-keeper – Jonny Bairstow, Ben Foakes
- Batters – Dean Elgar, Ollie Pope, Rassie van der Dussen
- All-rounders – Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Keshav Maharaj
- Bowlers – James Anderson, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje
Win Big, Make Your Cricket Prediction Now